If you are in a rush, the best beginner fishing rod is the Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combo >>Check Price on Amazon<<
Although fishing is an interesting outdoor activity, how exciting it gets depends on the tools you have. To master the art of fishing you need a good beginner fishing rod that is easy to use that provides a good introduction to fishing gear. The challenge to this is being able to find a great fishing rod in a market that has many brands.. These best beginner fishing rods and best fishing rods and reel combos are great for both men and woman starting out. They are the best bang for your buck and will probably be the first of many fishing rods that you will be collecting as you gain moe experience in this sport.
We took time to assess the market and came up with the five of the top fishing rod brands. Before presenting the products, however, we will go through the factors that will help you identify the best beginner fishing rods based on your needs.
The Best Beginner Fishing Rods Are :
- Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combo >>Check Price on Amazon<<
- Berkley Cherrywood HD Spinning Rod >>Check Price on Amazon<<
- SHIMANO Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rod >>Check Price on Amazon<<
- PLUSINNO Spinning Rod and Reel Combos Full KIT >>Check Price on Amazon<<
- Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Reel and rod Combo >>Check Price on Amazon<<
The Top Beginner Fishing Rods
|Fishing Rod||Length||Construction||Action||Rod Power||Total Rating|
| 1. Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combos
||5.91 - 7.87 Ft|| Carbon Fiber Mixed
|Medium Action||Light - Medium Light||9/10|
| 2. Berkley Cherrywood HD Spinning Rod
||4'6" - 7 Ft||Hyrbrid Construction||Medium Action||Ultra Light - Medium||9/10|
| 3. SHIMANO Solora 2 Piece Spinning Rod
||5'6" - 7 Ft||Aeroglass Blank construction||Fast Action||Medium||8.5/10|
| 4. PLUSINNO Spinning Rod and Reel Combos Full KIT
||5.91 - 8.86 Ft|| Carbon Fiber Mixed |
| 5. Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Combo
||4'8" - 7 Ft|| Graphite With|
|Medium Action||Ultra Light - Medium Heavy||8/10|
Buyer’s Guide – Factors to consider when shopping for the best starter fishing rod
The length of the fishing rod
A fishing rod will have a length varying between 2 and 20 feet, which means that the length you choose will depend on your needs. If you are looking to do fly fishing, then a long rod is ideal. If you are dealing with short lures, however, go for a short rod that is often characterized by fighting fish such as bass and pike.
Rod construction material
While fishing rods were initially made of bamboo, today’s manufacturers have upgraded to the use of fiberglass and graphite. Carbon fiberglass fishing rods are more reliable as compared to the graphite types since they are not only highly flexible but also cheap, tough, and durable. On the other hand, graphite fishing rods are lighter, more sensitive, stiffer, but also much easier to break.
The action of the rod
This refers to how easily the rod can flex every time a force is applied to it. This further defines the ability of the rod to bend and determines how far it can go. The fast action fishing rods are used to catch large species of fish since the entire top third of the rod bends. Moreover, such actions allow you to fight the fish easily that mostly feature a stiff backbone. Medium action fishing rods allow the bending of the top half and are mostly a favorite of the beginners. A slow action fishing rod is perfect for catching small fish since it will be from the lower third.
The rod power
This refers to the level of pressure needed to bend the fishing rod while in action. A fishing rod is often described as ultra-light, light, medium-light, medium, medium-heavy, heavy, and extra-heavy with respect to its power. The light fishing rods need less bending power while the heavy types require more pressure to bend.
Different types of fishing rods
When looking to acquire the best fishing rod for beginners, you have to decide the type that you need. The common types include:
These are specially designed for experienced fishermen since they can be used to catch a wide variety of fish and are available in a wide array of options. Such types are the standard rods for fishing bass and pike.
These types of rods are ideal when you are dragging a lure behind a trolling boat or fishing kayak with the aim of enticing the nearby fish to bite and then be caught. Every trolling reel should come with three general features and these include:
– A line braking system located on the reel handle
– A release lever
– A line out alarm
Such fishing rods provide maximum versatility and flexibility to catch fish easily. You should know, however, that fish trolling is illegal in some states. As such, be sure to check the local fishing rules and regulations to be on the safe side of the law.
The spinning rods are designed with a fixed below just below the rod and the weight of the bait is supposed to cause the line to be drawn. They are the perfect choice for beginners since they are simpler to use and offer top-level versatility. You can use these rods to cast artificial or live bait too.
These are normally weightless and long. Their length usually varies between 6 and 14 feet. They allow you to cast a fly that is then tied to something like fur to mimic the appearance of an insect. The flexibility of these rods enables you to catch flying fish.
Best Beginner Fishing Rod Reviews
Below are the Best Fishing Rods for Beginners. I have included both rods and rod/reel combos in these reviews. This is because as you gain more experience you may like a certain brand of rod paired with a certain type of reel. Still, if you are just starting out and want the cheapest and most ready fishing packages a rod/ reel combo will be your best bet to start off with.
Have you been looking for a fishing rod and reel that can be comfortably used in both salty water and freshwater? If you have, this might be the best brand in the market since it even comes with a fishing carrier bag for convenient travels. It is sold with a spare spool, 110 yards of fishing line, 3 fishing lures, and 12 other fishing accessories. The hooded reel seats are made of stainless steel so the rod is always bright and resistant to corrosion in seawater. This is widely considered to be the best fishing rod and reel combo for beginners because of the accessories included and it’s versatillity. It is also one of the best cheap fishing rods you can get that gives you an affordable price with good quality materials used.
It further features sealed waterproof and dust proof bearings that complement the zinc material gear for longevity.
- The line roller features a new design specially made to minimize line twist and fatigue that would otherwise lead to a breakage.
- It comes with left/right interchangeable aluminum handles that boost your handling strength and make the rod lightweight for easier usage.
- It comes with an exquisitely made fishing carrier bag that is made from a durable material and double zippers for item security.
- This rod doesn’t seem to handle snags and great tension well. This means that its use might be limited in large lakes/rivers.
Berkley has been making highly redefined fishing rods for over 30 years now. This particular series features a hybrid design construction that offers a sensitivity that is unmatched by any beginner fishing rod brand. Its grip and tactile features are of superior quality, making this brand the best in the market. The cork handle design is also used to enhance the handling comfort.
This beginner fishing rod is made with the SS304 guides that are 20 times tougher than the conventional aluminum oxide guides are while still being 55 percent lighter. The SS304 guides have undergone factory tests to prove their high level of dependability. If you are looking for a stylish fishing rod, then this might just be the best fishing pole for beginners.
- It is super lightweight and compact for ease of handling and stowing.
- It provides great action for its simple design.
- The cork handle design ensures that you hold the rod tirelessly throughout the fishing trip.
- It comes in just the right length for easy and comfortable use.
- This rod is exceptionally sensitive and flexible, which means you can’t miss a catch.
- Some users feel that the rod is a bit weak and might break in case it is mishandled.
- It will not be able to hold a heavy fish.
This is a good starter fishing pole since it is a medium power rod yet its action is swift. Its construction also features a durable aero-glass that is black.
It further features reinforced aluminum oxide guides and a solid locking graphite reel seat. Additionally, its design incorporates cork handles that improve the grip and make the rod comfortable for use. The rod’s ability was tested with a line rating of 6 to 14 pounds. What’s more, it comes as a 2-piece item of great quality. The Shimano is a good beginner fishing rod because it is useful for longer casts on the water.
- It provides a quality that you can rely on.
It is available in a wide array of sizes that you can choose from based on your needs.
- It is made using a solid locking graphite reel seat that works alongside the comfortable cork handles to make it an ideal choice for enthusiastic fishermen.
- It is highly sensitive, which means that it will respond quickly each time a fish tries to eat the bait.
- Some users may describe this fishing rod as medium heavy, which makes it a little difficult to handle.
- A few users are worried about the quality of the rod since it may break after just a simple tangle in the weeds.
Are you looking to purchase an entire rod and reel combo kit? If you are, you need search no further since PLUSINNO Spinning Rod and Reel Combos Full KIT is designed specifically as a beginners fishing kit. It comes with a fishing rod, a fishing reel, a fishing line, 6 fishing lures, 6 fishing hooks, 4 sinkers, a fishing bag, and other amazing fishing accessories.
It offers just the perfect elasticity to help you increase your catch and enjoy the adventure. Its construction features a mix of high-density carbon fiber and fiberglass that make it super hard and durable.
The reel seats are hooded and made of stainless steel, which means that they are resistant to the corrosion caused by seawater. Most users love the fact that the telescopic fishing rod is made with a closed length design that makes it highly portable and convenient to use. The extended handle works alongside the medium power to deliver a great action.
- This fishing rod is designed with an EVA fore grip that ensures maximum comfort during use.
- It has an instant anti-reverse power drive gear equipped for maximum strength.
- The reel is made from deep aluminum for durability.
- Despite its compact body, it has a large spool and large line capacity to enhance your fishing efficiency.
- Some users are worried that the plastic body makes the rod a low-quality product.
This 5′ light 1 piece fishing starter kit will simply up your fishing game. It features 4 ball bearings alongside a one-way clutch instant anti-reverse bearing to ensure that all your gears feel smooth. This will also allow you to set the hook in the water instantly.
The rod’s construction features a machined double anodized aluminum spool that further comes with an oversized bail wire to increase it durability. The combo also comes with compression bail springs that are aimed at improving the reel’s life span. You will also appreciate the soft touch handle knobs that deliver extra comfort when in use.
- This Shakespeare rod is highly durable and sturdy, which means that you will enjoy its services for a long time.
- It is highly sensitive, implying that it can offer all-round use despite the type of fish being caught.
- It is of excellent quality, thus offering the best value for your money.
- This rod is a little heavy; you can’t cast it for long without getting tired.
Finding the best fishing rod for beginners might be a real hassle. This is often attributable to the fact that you will be dealing with multiple brands and finding one that best meets your needs might be challenging. What’s more, you will have to consider factors such as the rod length, action, power, and construction material. Luckily, we have reviewed the top 5 fishing rods for beginners in the market.
Out of the 5, Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combo is our overall winner. This is because it comes with telescopic fishing pole spinning reels. Moreover, it is available at a super friendly price considering its great quality or when compared to its competitors. It is also highly durable, lightweight, and flexible, which means that it will allow you to have a fantastic time catching fish.
This, however, does not rule out the other four fishing rods for beginners. They are also amazing choices that are worth considering since they have multiple unique features to offer.
Last Updated on